Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Ask me Linux questions if you want

linux questions why the fuck not

Nobody
 ⬇︎ 
Page 1 of /1

I mean, only if you want to. Trust me, there is no Linux question you can pose that is dumber than the shit I get at work.

Trying too hard

Either nobody is reading this zone or nobody has questions.

Good talk, everyone.

Trying too hard
Trying too hard

Why use any distro other than Mint? I don’t get the appeal

any idea which distro is best suited for chromebooks? I’d like to extricate myself from the google ecosystem

core omega phage

Why use any distro other than Mint? I don’t get the appeal

I’m a Debian developer so I run Debian. I also hate myself, so that’s part of the motivation.

At this point I’d recommend Arch to people who want to game on Linux because it’s what the Steam Deck is based on, otherwise Mint/ElementaryOS for everyone else.

any idea which distro is best suited for chromebooks? I’d like to extricate myself from the google ecosystem

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at Chromebook stuff. I generally try to avoid buying anything that poz’d by Google surveillance, so I’ve never needed it.

Trying too hard

lmao poz’d

yeah, I took the bait and now regret it.

core omega phage

Have you used fish shell and have any thots about it?

how do you feel about regex

core omega phage

Have you used fish shell and have any thots about it?

No, I use BASH where I can, (t)csh where I have to, and ksh when I must.

how do you feel about regex

As a concept? Overused.

Trying too hard

I did an oopsie whoopsie and “bricked” (is arch ever really bricked?) my old arch machine by trying to update glibc with pacman. Nbd, but uh what’s the correct way to update an arch system when software demands newer versions of glibc?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I’d probably boot from a live CD/USB, mount my current installation somewhere in the live environment, figure out what library I’m missing, put it into place in the installed system using the live system, chroot into the mounted install, smoketest it, finish your upgrade, and reboot.

Trying too hard

why do i need sticky bits and why are they always so stupid

(t)csh

i just puked

why do i need sticky bits and why are they always so stupid

Because you touch yourself at night.

For real though, where are you using sticky bits? The most common place they’re used is for set-UID and set-GID executables.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2023-04-02 21:08:332023-04-02 21:08
Trying too hard

i dont use them but like once every other year some thing on the server will not work right with/without them and i can never remember why

whats a cool tmux trick

age 6

make your console go beep

make your console go beep

i feel this

age 6

Are you experienced w/ gamescope and or steamOS

game on gamer

I’m asking because I don’t know how to define a resolution with custom sync timings in game mode on the steam deck

game on gamer

whats a cool tmux trick

Not using tmux

Are you experienced w/ gamescope and or steamOS

I’m asking because I don’t know how to define a resolution with custom sync timings in game mode on the steam deck

I wouldn’t say that I’m specifically experienced with hacking on them other than to say that Steam OS is pretty much shiny Arch.

That said, game mode startup on Steam is wonky and not really standard from what I can see.

The leading suggestion for something like this would be to write a shell script that calls xrandr to add your custom mode and test it in Desktop Mode. If it works there, create a user systemd service unit and set it to run at login. That should work across both Desktop and Game modes. Reddit talks about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/uu3qm6/run_script_at_gaming_mode_startup/

Trying too hard
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top